101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Creamiest Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Creamiest Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese

A creamy tasty mac and cheese recipe that is slow cooker simple. Good enough to make my "in-house mac and cheese expert" go back for seconds and talk about variations we can try with glee in her voice.

UPDATE Jan 13,2013: Newer version available with even less work and just as creamy.  
Creamy Crock Pot Mac and Cheese with Uncooked Macaroni (linky)

This is my third try at this. I was inspired initially by a Trisha Yearwood show on Food Network. Very interesting. Then a Paula Deen recipe. Then many more. I made charts of ratios of cheese and milk to pasta. I listed spices, I saw cooking times from 2 to 5 hours. Basically, they were all over the place.

I started with the Paula Deen recipe since it seem to be the most popular. I made a number of changes but mainly it was more of a cut up casserole due to the eggs. My wife had a small serving but ultimately it was trashed. Taste adequate, texture very wrong. She wanted creamy and cheesy. Nothing else would do.

So I read comments and looked more. I decreased the egg and a few other changes. Still a no go but improving. THE EGG HAD TO GO! I did find another blogger who came to the same conclusion at Repeatcrafterme. Almost everyone else had the egg. This is basicly the Paula Deen recipe without egg with some simplification.

Rating
 This is a 4 or a 5. My wife gave it a 4.5 as it stands. She has plans... See the notes.

Notes: My wife and I both agree with some Cayenne so I did add that is an option. We will be trying other cheeses with the next batch. Vary the spicing to match your favorite stove top or oven recipe. Add a meat. Be creative. I'm thinking some browned Panko bread crumbs and parmassan sprinkled on top at serving.

About crock pots. These can vary in temperature greatly so as they say, "your mileage may vary" in cooking time. I defined the end time as starting to get some browning. This was a little under two hours for me. The Deen recipe is at 3 hours. Can you say burnt?

If you do a variation, please share in the comments.

Start with a pan of hot water over high heat.
Once the water is boiling add 2 cups (about 8 oz) and cook for about 2/3 of the minimum time. Mine said 9 minutes so I cooked for 6 minutes.
Combine in a medium crock pot: 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 1/2 cups cheese ( I used sharp cheddar and and a little cojack. Use what you want/have), 4 T butter cut into several pieces, 1/2 t salt, pepper and dry mustard and one can (10 3/4 oz) cheddar cheese soup.  Option of 1/4 t Cayenne pepper.
Drain the pasta well and combine in the slow cooker. Mix well. Turn on low.
Stir the pot about 20 minutes into cooking when the butter is melted. Mix very well. Stir again several more times. Just a light stir is good. It's done when you are getting some browned cheese on the side of the pot and some light browning of some of the pasta on the edge.  About 2 hours.



Creamiest Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese


The creamiest mac and cheese and it's that is slow cooker simple. Good enough to make my in house mac and cheese expert go back for seconds.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Pasta
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
  • 4 T butter
  • 1 10 3/4 oz can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t pepper
  • 1/2 t dry mustard
  • optional 1/4 t Cayenne pepper

Instructions

1) Start with a pan of hot water over high heat. Once the water is boiling add 2 cups (about 8 oz) and cook for about 2/3 of the minimum time. Mine said 9 minutes so I cooked for 6 minutes.2) Combine in a medium crock pot: 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sour cream, 2 1/2 cups cheese ( I used sharp cheddar and and a little cojack. Use what you want/have), 4 T butter cut into several pieces, 1/2 t salt, pepper and dry mustard and one can (10 3/4 oz) cheddar cheese soup. Option of 1/4 t Cayenne pepper.3) Drain the pasta well and combine in the slow cooker. Mix well. Turn on low.4) Stir the pot about 20 minutes into cooking when the butter is melted. Mix very well. Stir again several more times. Just a light stir is good. 5) It's done when you are getting some browned cheese on the side of the pot and some light browning of some of the pasta on the edge. About 2 hours.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 serving

Updated

May 5 2013

Dan Mikesell

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

At August 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I have to keep this one in mind because our go to recipe for mac and cheese is labor intensive and messes up a boatload of pans.

 
At October 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM , Blogger ReginaS said...

I have tried your mac and cheese and shredded chicken recipes and they were AWESOME!!!! I look forward to trying more :)

 
At October 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM , Blogger ReginaS said...

Your recipes are AMAZING!! My fiance and I love them!

 
At October 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, you validated my suspicion about eggs in the mac and cheese. Thank you! I made a recipe with eggs and really didn't like it at all. Next try is your recipe/the Paula Dean recipe. Thanks.

 
At December 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM , Blogger mrlemm said...

you have to temper the egg in. Ive done it with the egg with my own variation and it works.

 
At December 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM , Blogger mrlemm said...

the egg needs to be tempered in for it to mesh well with the ingredients. if the egg overcooks it will have a pasty feel to it.

 
At December 14, 2012 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the hint... I think I will just leave the egg out.

 
At December 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM , Blogger KBGR said...

FYI I used uncooked elbow macaroni instead of cooking the pasta. Turned out great!!

 
At December 15, 2012 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just did an experiment this morning working on a new version. I did not precook the pasta and it worked fine. (not the same recipe) This has failed for me before. I think the "but" here seems to be this time I didn't add the cheese until near the end after the pasta was done.

My previous tries of not precooking were with the cheese going in at the start. I think the cheese way over cooked by the time the pasta was reasonable.

Also I don't really like using things like the soup in this. That will be gone in the new version.

 
At November 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I used your recipe at our New Years dinner for the family (8 people) and everyone was pleased. Last week I tried the new version and could not get the texture of the noodles quite right, they were gummy- for lack of a better word. Saturday I made this recipe for my daughters Engagement Party (50 folks, 6 x recipe and added 1/2 cup dried noodles per batch when boiling, made 2 batches in each crock pot, 2 hrs cook time) and it turned out perfect! Everyone there raved over the mac and cheese and wanted your recipe. The only thing I did not double per crock pot was the cayenne, because I knew some would think it too spicy. It was wonderful to spend a few minutes boiling noodles and dumping a few things in the crock pots and not having to worry about it for 2 hours. I used the crock pot liners that reynolds has out now and cleanup was a breeze.
Thanks for the work you put into your recipes!!

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home