101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Masses of Pizza Dough

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Masses of Pizza Dough

After the previous low-carb pizza recipe, I though I would post a very high carb recipe.

My home made pizza has been a family favorite for 30 plus years. With only two of us and keeping carbs low, the only time the pizza pans come out is during holidays. At both Thanksgivings and Christmas, the occasion called for "masses of pizza". With one of the family being severely milk allergic, it's easier and safer to just do it yourself.

Here is the dough recipe. I'm not allowed to make the sauce so you're on your own there. Topping are your choice also. 

Ingredients (for 5 large pizzas 16 inch round or 1/2 sheet size)
8 cups Water
Flour- you will need a lot. Most of a 10 lb bag
1 T salt
3 pack Quick rise yeast
4 T oil
1 1/2 T sugar
The amounts of salt, oil and sugar are approximate. I have never measured. 

Instructions:
1) In large bowl (our BIG monster cookie one) 8 cups of warm not hot water. I do “pre-warm” the bowl with hot water so it doesn’t cool everything off. Add three packs of quick rise yeast, the sugar, salt and oil. Let set for 5-10 minutes after mixing will.
2) Add flour. Start with 16 cups (2 cups per cup of water). Mix well. Add more flour to get right consistency. This should be not too stiff.
3) Let rise until double in size (about 45 minute). If you have time, punch down and let rise a second time. I almost never do this.
4) Cut into fifths and spread out and top.
5) Sauce and toppings your choice

I generally bake at 375-400 for approximately 25 minutes. This varies by oven, convection etc.
With our two ovens I do “rotate” the pizzas after 10-12 minutes by moving the bottom one to the top and rotating 180 degrees. The cheese only part browns faster and should be further down in the oven longer.

Notes: This was a one pizza recipe 35 years ago then went to a 2 pizza recipe. That was 3 cups of water, 1 pack yeast, 7+ cups of flour with some oil, salt and sugar.  Feel free to adjust salt, sugar and oil but I don't think it matters a lot.  The ratio of water to flour should be about 1 to 2 to start and add flour to get the right consistency which should not be to stiff. The yeast can vary some. For four pizzas at Thanksgivings, I used two packs and for 5 at Christmas I used 5. If you use sausage, you will need about  1/2 lb per pizza. Green pepper about 1/2 large per pizza. Pepperoni lots- you can never have to much pepperoni. I do think the deli sliced pepperoni is better than that in the little bags.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At January 9, 2010 at 11:57 PM , Anonymous Greg said...

As the affor mentioned milk allergic son, I'll say that I eat this sort of pizza crust way more than is likely healthy for me. Dad doesn't do much with the dough besides slap it on the pan and spread it, I tend to knead it and throw it for a long while (I like chew crusts which this promotes).

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home