101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Bourbon Street Sirloin Steak a la Applebee's

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Bourbon Street Sirloin Steak a la Applebee's

I have always wondered how a relatively cheap piece of beef got so good. An obvious target to recreate. If this was a throw down, I'd win. Better taste, very  tender and definitely more moist. A simple marinade for 2 hours then 12 minutes on the grill. Grrrrreat!!!!! This one goes in my repeat over and over file.


Rating 9.1 Taste 9 Moist 9.3 Tender 9.3 Fuss 8.7

Notes: Named after Bourbon Street not bourbon the drink. Hence, no bourbon in the recipe.


Tools: Mechanical meat tenderizer (not required)

Ingredients
2 sirloin steaks about 8-10 oz each well trimed
2 cups water
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T soy sauce
4 t chili powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t paprika
2 t pepper
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t meat tenderizer
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t onion powder
1/2 t oregano

Instructions:
1) Mix all ingredients except steak in an 1 gallon zip lock bag. Seal and mix very well.
2) Use a mechanical meat tenderizer if available to prep meat. If not available, use a narrow knife and puncture each side about 20 times.
3) Place meat in marinade and refrigerate for about 2 hours (1-4).
4) Preheat on high for at least 15 minutes. Clean and oil grill.
5) Grill over medium heat for 6 minutes per side until internal temp of 155.
6) Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.



Bourbon Street Sirloin Steak a la Applebee's


I have always wondered how a relatively cheap piece of beef got so good. An obvious target to recreate. If this was a throw down, I'd win. Better taste, very tender and definitely more moist. A simple marinade for 2 hours then 12 minutes on the grill. Grrrrreat!!!!! This one goes in my repeat over and over file. Rating 9.1 Taste 9 Moist 9.3 Tender 9.3 Fuss 8.7 Notes: Named after Bourbon Street not bourbon the drink. Hence, no bourbon in the recipe.
Ingredients
  • 2 sirloin steaks about 8-10 oz each well trimmed
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 4 t chili powder
  • 2 t garlic powder
  • 2 t paprika
  • 2 t pepper
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 1/2 t meat tenderizer
  • 1 t cayenne pepper
  • 1 t onion powder
  • 1/2 t oregano
Instructions
1) Mix all ingredients except steak in an 1 gallon zip lock bag. Seal and mix very well.2) Use a mechanical meat tenderizer if available to prep meat. If not available, use a narrow knife and puncture each side about 20 times. 3) Place meat in marinade and refrigerate for about 2 hours (1-4).4) Preheat on high for at least 15 minutes. Clean and oil grill. 5) Grill over medium heat for 6 minutes per side until internal temp of 155.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings
Updated

April 28, 2011


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At May 2, 2010 at 8:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe at Applebees a few weeks ago and I was wondering the same thing! I was suprised at how flavorful and tender it was- I thought I just got lucky! I can't wait to try this myself. Thanks for posting this recipe!

 
At May 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Chris said...

I've been meaning to get one of those jaccards but haven't gotten around to ordering one.

Nice looking steaks.

 
At May 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The jaccard (that's the tenderizer thing for the rest of you) fell apart during cleaning. Just 2 screws but I can't seem to find them yet. It is "fun" and I think I was too aggressive.

 
At May 21, 2010 at 3:19 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Where did you get that tenderizer thing from? Now I want one.

 
At September 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM , Anonymous Steaks Online said...

I've always been skeptical about getting a steak at Applebee's. However, I'd definitely give this recipe a shot at home.

 
At September 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's not a porterhouse but very good for what is is. I do really love the flavor

 
At September 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

can i use my george forman grill? i stay in apartments and can not use a grill

 
At September 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would try it. I can't give you a time but check the temperature of the steak.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home