101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Really Easy Apple Crumb Pie

Friday, May 18, 2012

Really Easy Apple Crumb Pie

A real crowd pleaser.  Some apples, a pie crust, sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter and you get a great tasting basic apple pie. Seconds all around.


I seem to use the terms simple and easy a lot naming recipes but I do really mean it. I like simple and easy since I rarely do a recipe that take a lot of time, is complex or takes too much of my time for too little return. This a the final cooking (but not final post) that is using up the remains of a mass cooking my wife did a week before. There were 4 apples and one refrigerated pie crust left. Perhaps a pie???

So the recipe search was underway. I know there that most would include making the pie crust and I would just skip that. I had one and I have made pie crusts before and it generally falls in the too much time for return category.

So I usually read 5-10 recipes before I zero in but #2 did it for me. I liked the few ingredients, I had all the ingredients, and I liked the technique. In a word it was easy. And I almost followed it. I added some cinnamon to the topping and mostly followed the technique. So inspired by southerncooking.about.com.

Rating:
This is going to be a standard in this house. I see no need to add complication to a recipe that produces this great of results.

Notes: Nothing really. I think I will cut the apple slices in half next time so it doesn't pull apart so much during eating. Also it probably needs to cool for 4-5 hours. It will hold together better when served.


Preheat oven to 375 convection and place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack for any overflow.
Start with one cup of AP flour in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar (Packed), 1/2 t cinnamon, and 1/8 t salt. Mix this well. Microwave 1 stick (4oz) of butter in a bowl for 20 sec. on high. It will be partially melted. Stir with a fork and then dribble into the flour mixture.
Mix with a fork until well blended. Set aside.
Peel and slice apples. I used 4 good size Granny Smiths. You need 5-6 cups of apple.
Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 t cinnamon together well then sprinkle over the apple slices.
Mix well.
Pour apple into a 9 inch uncooked pie crust. Either make one or use a Pillsbury refrigerated one.
Top with the crumb mix.
Bake on the middle rack. About 20 minutes into baking, you need to protect the edges of the crust. Either with aluminum foil or with a fancy dancy pie crust protector thingy. Bake a total time of about 50 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. 3-4 hours.








Really Easy Apple Crumb Pie


A real crowd pleaser. Some apples, a pie crust, sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter and you get a great tasting basic apple pie. Seconds all around.

Ingredients

  • 1 uncooked pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
  • 5-6 cups cooking apples pealed and sliced
  • 1 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 packed cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
  • 1/2 cup granular sugar
  • 1 t cinnamon

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 375 convection and place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack for any overflow.2) Start with one cup of AP flour in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar (Packed), 1/2 t cinnamon, and 1/8 t salt. Mix this well.3) Microwave 1 stick (4oz) of butter in a bowl for 20 sec. on high. It will be partially melted. Stir with a fork and then dribble into the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until well blended. Set aside.4) Peel and slice apples. I used 4 good size Granny Smiths. You need 5-6 cups of apple. 5) Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 t cinnamon together well then sprinkle over the apple slices. Mix well.6) Pour apple into a 9 inch uncooked pie crust. Either make one or use a Pillsbury refrigerated one. Top with the crumb mix.7) Bake on the middle rack. About 20 minutes into baking, you need to protect the edges of the crust. Either with aluminum foil or with a fancy dancy pie crust protector thingy.8) Bake a total time of about 50 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting. 3-4 hours.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 9" pie

Updated

May 18 2012

DrDan

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At October 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Hquinzelle said...

This recipe is great, I made it twice and it turned out fantastic both times.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home