101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Banana Bread

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Banana Bread

Chucked full of chocolate, topped with cinnamon sugar and infused with banana. This is a different take on banana bread. Like all quick breads, an easy beginner recipe.

This is sometimes call "Willie Nelson’s Famous Banana Bread" and the first post I find about it is at Everybody Likes Sandwiches . There are some variations but really they are all about the same.
Rating
Humm... Why only a 3? Well, it is a little too sweet and chocolaty to me (old taste buds?). Yep, I know that sounds strange. So I'm at a 3. Not bad but not as expected. I think it would be a 5 for many people and a 4 for most.  If  I would make it again, I would cut the sugar to 1/2 cup and the chips to 3/4 cup. I'll stick to my "Old Fashion Banana Nut Bread" for my "must go" bananas.

Notes: I went with the suggested 1 cup of sugar, not the original 1 1/4 cup. I also decrease the cinnamon sugar topping a little, it just seem too much and it would have been.

Preheat oven to 375. I did not use convection this time.
 In a large mixing bowl, mash together three ripe bananas and 2 eggs.
Add 1 1/2 cups of AP flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 t baking soda, 1 t vanilla, 1 T cinnamon. Mix well and mix in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
 Mix a topping of 2 T sugar and 1/4 t cinnamon.
 Place in a greased 9 by 9 baking pan.
 Sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mix.
 Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.




Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Banana Bread

Chucked full of chocolate, topped with cinnamon sugar and infused with banana. This is a different take on banana bread. Like all quick breads, an easy beginner recipe.

Ingredients

  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 1/2 c AP flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup plus 2 T white sugar
  • 1 T plus 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 375. I did not use convection this time.2) In a large mixing bowl, mash together three ripe bananas and 2 eggs. 3) Add 1 1/2 cups of AP flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 t baking soda, 1 t vanilla, 1 T cinnamon. Mix well and mix in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.4) Mix a topping of 2 T sugar and 1/4 t cinnamon.5) Place in a greased 9 by 9 baking pan. Sprinkle with the sugar/cinnamon mix. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips. 6) Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 16 servings

Updated

August 22 2012

DrDan

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At August 23, 2012 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Chris said...

The chocolate chips and cinnamon definitely give it a twist. We make banana bread whenever bananas miraculously make it long enough to be extra ripe in our house. They normally disappear by day 2 because the boys love bananas.

 
At November 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

I literally just took this out of the oven... It was good, but I agree that it seems to be a little too much sugar. The amount of chocolate chips was perfect for me! My 19 month old loves this as well. Although, I only baked it for 30 minutes and the edges were all halfway burnt, so I definitely wouldn't cook it for 40 minutes. I'll make it again!

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home