101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Easy Meatballs

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Easy Meatballs

A recipe for meatballs that are scrumptious with a great Parmesan Italian taste. Eat them on their own, in a marina sauce or a sub sandwich. Done in 30 minutes. This is not the little hard tasteless meatballs but a big soft tasty one.

I wanted a meatball good enough to eat on it's own and not need to be hidden inside of a sauce. It needed to use common ingredients that I always have on hand. And lastly, I wanted to bake them in the oven. Why??? I'm LAZY.

I reviewed a LOT of recipes for this. Nothing stands out as the inspiration piece but a few things did stand out. Almost all have eggs. The ones cooked on the stove top or in sauce seem to have about 2 eggs per pound (I assume to hold them together better) and the oven based mostly with 1 egg per pound. Many different meats, spices, with or without various cheeses, and most with some bread of some type.


Rating
A very nice solid 4. Now I can use them either for dinner or in a sauce.

Notes: these are somewhat tender. I don't mean fall apart tender but not stir them around in a pot of sauce solid. Just plunk them in there and they should be fine. I didn't "pack it" together but used my ice cream scoop to make about 2 inch balls. If you want to simmer them in the sauce, cook them more, add another egg, make them a little smaller and roll them tight with wet hands.

Preheat oven to 425 regular or 400 convection.
In a medium mixing bowl, add one egg and whip it to combine the yoke and white. Add 1/2 medium onion chopped small, 1 clove crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1/2 t oregano, 1 T ketchup 1/4 cup each of panko bread crumbs and grated parmasan cheese. Mix well.
Now add 1 pound of ground beef but break it apart a little while you add it. Mix until all is incorperated well but no more.
On a non stick baking sheet sprayed lightly with PAM. Scoop equal size meatballs of 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter.
Bake until 165 minimum internal temperature. 20 minutes for me.





Easy Meatballs

A recipe for meatballs that are scrumptious with a great Parmesan Italian taste. Eat them on their own, in a marina sauce or a sub sandwich. Done in 30 minutes.
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. ground beef (80/20)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
  • 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 1/2 t oregano
  • 1 T ketchup
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 425 regular or 400 convection.2) In a medium mixing bowl, add one egg and whip it to combine the yoke and white. Add 1/2 medium onion chopped small, 1 clove crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1/2 t oregano, 1 T ketchup 1/4 cup each of panko bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well.3) Now add 1 pound of ground beef but break it apart a little while you add it. Mix until all is incorporated well but no more.4) On a non stick baking sheet sprayed lightly with PAM. Scoop equal size meatballs of 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter.5) Bake until 165 minimum internal temperature. 20 minutes for me.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 serving

Updated

February 23 2013

DrDan

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At November 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Sounds like they would be good in a meatball sub.

 
At May 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM , Blogger Feldydancer said...

I made these tonight. Very easy and delicious. I did add ground mustard and Worcestershire sauce, as I add those to mu meatloaf. I think next time I will add less onion or really dice it small.

 
At May 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I admit to a little heavy on the onion. I do like my onion but for this recipe it needs to be fine or it's scale is off. I'm not a mustard person but the Worcestershire sounds great.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home