101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: 12 Free iPhone / iPod Cooking Apps for 2011

Saturday, February 12, 2011

12 Free iPhone / iPod Cooking Apps for 2011

After years of a Windows based phone/pda my wife and I have converted to the new Verizon iPhone 4's. What a wonderful toy this is. So after the a few apps I require for work, it was time for iPhone / iPod cooking apps.  I started out with what I think is a good selection of some of the best top rated freebies so I though I should share.


All the first group are free full versions and look great to me. The second group includes a few that are free but will cost to have a complete version or access. I will probably "pay up" soon but I'm suffering recipe overload for now.  I have not tested them other than a quick look and reading other reviews. The links are for your convince and will not credit me with anything... they are just free.

The Freebies
(in no order)

The Big Oven
With 170,000+ recipes and many awards, this appears to be a must on any foodies iPhone



170,000+ Recipes - BigOven - BigOven.com



Whole Foods Recipes
From the grocery chain that I can't go to (none are near) but a lot a wonderful recipe that include national information.


Whole Foods Market Recipes - Whole Foods Market, Inc.


Woman's Day Cooking Assistant
Just what you would expect but looks very nice and complete.



Woman's Day Cooking Assistant - Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S.


Epicurious
This has always been one of my favorite sites online and now I have it with me at all times. I looks just as greats as their site always does.

Epicurious Recipes & Shopping List - Condé Nast Digital


Food Network Canada
Go north young man... it's free. I'm sure this is not the same or even close to the USA version of Food Network but it's free and the US version is a couple of bucks that  I will pony up after I get done with this but this looks very nice and complete. It can stand on it's own.

Food Network Canada Recipes, Grocery Lists & More - CW Media Inc.

McCormick Recipe Finder
Over a thousand recipes from the spice company. I'm sure I can mine some gems from this load of what appears to be wonderful stuff.

McCormick Recipe Finder - McCormick & Company, Inc.

Betty Crocker
Another of the "biggies" that is just what it sounds like. Over 9000 recipes.Think of 9000 recipes in a book. That should be at least several feet thick and it is yours free. They may not be the fanciest recipes but Crocker recipes always work.

The Betty Crocker® Mobile Cookbook - General Mills Inc.


uCook
I have never hear of this app but 60,000 recipes with links to coupons and local sales. A must try when I have time.

Ucook - Grocery Shopping Network


Spark Recipes
I wanted a "healthy" recipe app and this is it. I would say top in class from what I can tell so far. You can browse and search more than 190,000 recipes, plus save your favorites. They have nutritional info on all recipes and if you are very OCD they also offer a separate food and fitness tracker app.

Healthy Recipes - By SparkRecipes - SparkPeople


Not Quite Free Apps
AllRecipes Dinner Spinner
I believe this version has all the recipes but lacks some bells and whistles that I wouldn't use anyways. I love their web site and here it is. But the "pro" version is only $2.99.

Allrecipes.com Dinner Spinner - Recipes, Drinks, and more! - All Recipes, Inc.


Cook's Illustrated 
I LOVE CI and this gives you online access to your CI web account. I believe it has some free things but I can't tell what because it integrates into my online account. It is about the only thing you will ever get from CI for free. Very nicely done and a wonderful extension to your account if your already have one.

Cook’s Illustrated - America's Test Kitchen



Mark Bittman How to Cook Everything
I got the cookbook for Christmas and it looks great. I'm sure the complete version is worth $4.99 but this is a sampling for free. I just love Bittman stuff.
How to Cook Everything Essentials - Culinate, Inc.

Final words:
Let me know if you have comments or recommendations. Just post a comment for all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home