101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Crockpot Southwest Pork Tenderloin Chili - A Low Fat Wonderful Thing

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crockpot Southwest Pork Tenderloin Chili - A Low Fat Wonderful Thing

I have always said that pork and Mexican are made to go together. Well, I just proved it again. With only 10 minutes of prep, a crock pot and 8 hours, you can have a very healthy wonderful taste meal.

With only about 3-4 grams of fat per serving this will fit any diet. But I don't want you to think of this as a diet dish. This will blow any other chili out of the water on taste.

Rating:
Many times I have trouble with rating. Not this time. This will be in the top ten for the year for sure. A healthy recipe has no right being this good.

There are really very few recipe for a pork based chili but I did find an inspiration recipe Jerre's Black Bean and Pork Tenderloin Chili at Allrecipes. With my inspiration in place, I changed the beans around for some variety and modified the spices some for taste and added a jalapeno.

Notes: This will make 6 to 8 servings.  I included the packing liquid for all the beans. There is taste and nutrients in there. There is also salt so if you are on a low sodium diet, rinse the beans. People rinse the beans to make them look better on salads and clear type soups would be cloudy.
You should be able to do this on the stove top with a 3-4 hour simmer.

Prep onion and green pepper and chop medium. Prep jalapeno and chop fine.
Prep tenderloin by rinsing and patting dry. Remove all trimable fat and the silverskin. Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
Place all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 8 hours.(High for 4 hours should be fine also). You may include the liquid in the bean cans or rinse to decrease the sodium.




Crockpot Southwest Pork Tenderloin Chili


I have always said that pork and Mexican are made to go together. Well, I just proved it again. With only 10 minutes of prep, a crock pot and 8 hours, you can have a very healthy wonderful taste meal. With only about 3-4 grams of fat per serving this will fit any diet. But I don't want you to think of this as a diet dish. This will blow any other chili out of the water on taste.
Ingredients
1 pork tenderloin2-14 oz cans black beans1 - 14 oz can light kidney beans 1 - 4 oz can green chilies1 medium onion1 green pepper1 jalapeno pepper16 oz medium salsa1 cup chicken broth1 T chili powder1 t oregano1 t cumin
Instructions
1) Prep onion and green pepper and chop medium. Prep jalapeno and chop fine.2) Prep tenderloin by rinsing and patting dry. Remove all trimable fat and the silverskin. Cut into 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.3) Place all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 8 hours.(High for 4 hours should be fine also). Include the liquid in the bean cans.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings

Updated

December 9, 2011

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger umbrellalady said...

This recipe sounds wonderful but I wonder about the salt content with all the canned beans and their liquids, as well as the chicken stock and salsa, especially if they are all commercially produced.
Great with the fat content being so low!

 
At January 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I thought it was just right but I like salt and my blood pressure is good. I always use low sodium broth for what little that is worth.

You can rinse the beans if you're sodium sensitive or worried. The total sodium my way is about 3 teaspoons of salt. It sounds heavy but you add salt to a recipe but you don't usually count what is in the components. From what I can find, rinsing the beans would decrease the sodium by 20-40%. You could also use low sodium beans or dry beans.

 
At January 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Plain Chicken said...

sounds great!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Ahhhh! Your crock pot control panel looks like Darth Vader! I now dub he, Crock Vader.

"You don't know the power of the Crock side!"

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was thinking R2D2... it beeps

 
At January 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Jeffrey and Juli said...

This looks great- and I love your high-tech slow cooker!I agree with Chris, it looks like Darth Vader.

One assumes that the[cooking]force is strong with this one? ;)

 
At May 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Martha said...

Gorgeous slow cooker dish! Thanks for linking this one up too :-)

 
At November 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM , Blogger nbsp said...

umbrellalady, I feel your pain re sodium. I am new to learning ways to curb it. But so far in my education it appears that prepared stocks and bouillons are the devil for me. (I started rinsing canned vegetables so many decades ago that I can't remember the reason.) I'm not about to begin making homemade stock regularly so I am relegated to diluting regular canned stock or using the low-sodium stuff.

DrDan, I really like this recipe. Pork is just wonderful easy low-fat thing, isn't it? And lends itself well to crockpotting.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home