101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: KitchenAid Pasta Attachment - A Review

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

KitchenAid Pasta Attachment - A Review


Just call this a toy report. One of the cool things about having a Kitchen Aid stand mixer is all the associated toys. I had my eye on the pasta attachment for the last year. In fact, I think I got the mixer in someway aiming for this attachment. Well this year, it went on and off my Amazon wish list several times. I thought I left it off finally but in one of the trips on and off the list, one of my daughters went for it. So it was a complete surprise.

A few weeks ago Rex at Savory Reviews ran his through a first run with inspiring results. So we had left over Chicken Parmesan that my wife made (excellent with some pepperoni for allot of taste). A great time for a trial run on my day off.

I cut the recipe in half (we are cooking for two remember). The final result were very good but I had a stumble or two to mention in-spite of the hints Rex had. The dough was too dry. I initially went with the recipe provided by Kitchen Aid, but in the end, I needed an extra teaspoon of water to make the dough hold together through the roller. I though it was too dry when I did the hand kneading but left it. I added the extra water when I found the dough would not hold together through the roller. I think that cutting the recipe may have had something to do with this.  

Recipe
1 3/4 cup AP flour
2 large eggs
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 t water (plus 1 t that I think is needed)

Method

1) Combine all ingredients in the bowl and mix on 2 for 30 seconds.
Too Dry!!
2) Move to surface and knead for 2-3 minutes by hand to combine all dough.
3) Let set for 20 minutes.
Also too dry, I added a small amount of water here.
4) Divide in half  and flatten to about 1/8 inch by hand. Start with the roller set to 1. Your initial few passes with by raggedy. Keep folding the dough in half and reincorporating any separated dough.
5) After 4-5 passes you should have a sheet of dough. Now change the setting to 2 and do several passes. Continue to narrow the roller until you have the desired thickens. I went for 4 in thickness.
6) Now change to the desired cutter and make your pasta.
7) Cook for 2-5 minutes.

 Conclusions
A very nice toy. There is a small learning curve. I was very afraid of cleanup before I read the instructions. I imagined soaking the thing and have multiple parts to clean, NOPE, just wipe it off and let any stuck dough dry and then brush off. 

The results even here on my first try were better than a restaurant. Now that I have had my learning curve about the dough consistency, it will be much faster next time. With all my fumbling tonight, it was about 50 minutes until we were eating. Cut about 10 minutes off that for the learning curve thing. 
 
 

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Plain Chicken said...

I got this for Christmas too - can't wait to try it. Glad to see it wasn't as hard as I imagined.

 
At December 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm very happy with the results. It will be simple to make my own pasta. And I'm very happy with the cleanup. I'm just a wimp when it comes to cleanup.

 
At December 29, 2010 at 12:10 AM , Blogger umbrellalady said...

I got a pasta machine for Christmas but decided I preferred to use the recipe from Jamie Oliver's excellent video which called for 1 large egg to about 100 grams of flour (roughly 2/3 of a cup)- adding flour if necessary or a few drops of water. He used the food processor for mixing which was a huge time saver. I found that it was a little moist so added a wee bit of flour as he instructed and as I went on. I am more than pleased with the results and don't know if I will ever buy dried pasta again!!

 
At December 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Oooh, this looks yummy. I'm so glad that I managed to surprise you with this for Christmas! I have one in my pantry as well, in a box that I've never opened. I think I've had it since I got married 7 years ago. I might wait to have a special fresh pasta lesson from Dad though before I break it out.

 
At December 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Chris said...

We didn't get our mixer until September but have had the pasta attachment on our wish list since then.

Sometimes I almost which I'd gotten it instead of the meat grinder attachment that I have, but that is an awesome tool too.

 
At December 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to try Umbrellalady's suggested ingredients next time. The texture would be better I think. But I may add a touch of salt.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home