101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: From Scratch Cornbread in a Jiffy

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

From Scratch Cornbread in a Jiffy

Ummmm cornbread. I wanted a bread side for my chicken tonight. I would usually just do drop biscuits but I wanted a different taste tonight. In 30 minutes, I had it.

My first stop for a recipe is usually CI and I hit gold immediately. It was almost my buttermilk biscuit recipe with corn meal added. Yep I can do that.

Rating
Somehow this rating just seem too low. It was simple, quick and good. But I don't want to suffer from rating creep again and the description is right on. A real cornbread person would definitely give it a 4.  For me (a biscuit guy) it was really good (note only one really). I will be repeating this but as a change of pace.

Notes: I keep powder buttermilk on hand for this sort of quick recipe. I highly recommend it for you cooking for two people. I always prefer to make something from scratch and not a mix if possible. You know what's in it. Remove the butter and use low fat milk and you will be low fat. Next time I use about a tablespoon of corn oil instead of butter.
This is really about as simple as a mix. It was only 5 minutes prep and 25 minutes baking. This is a 9 serving recipe.

Tools: 9 by 9 baking pan

Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup corn meal
4 t sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

2 large eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 T butter melted plus butter for greasing the pan

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 convection and use butter on pan to prevent sticking
2) Mix all dry ingredients together
3) Mix eggs, milk and buttermilk together.

4) Add wet to dry and mix until almost combined. Add melted butter and mix until all ingredients combined.
5) Place in pan and bake for about 25 minutes until top is cracking and side is pulling back.

6) Cool on rake for 10 minutes and serve.



From Scratch Cornbread in a Jiffy


Ummmm cornbread. I wanted a bread side for my chicken tonight. I would usually just do drop biscuits but I wanted a different taste tonight. In 30 minutes, I had it.
Ingredients
1 cup AP flour1 cup corn meal4 t sugar2 t baking powder1/2 t baking soda1/2 t salt2 large eggs2/3 cup milk2/3 cup buttermilk2 T plus butter for greasing the pan butter melted
Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 425 convection and use butter on pan to prevent sticking2) Mix all dry ingredients together3) Mix eggs, milk and buttermilk together.4) Add wet to dry and mix until almost combined. Add melted butter and mix until all ingredients combined. 5) Place in pan and bake for about 25 minutes until top is cracking and side is pulling back.6) Cool on rake for 10 minutes and serve.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 9

Updated

April 20, 2011

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Great title, invoking Jiffy in the name, because this is anything but the ubiquitous Jiffy Corn Mix.

 
At November 20, 2010 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I thought I was being so sly.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home