101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Healthy Southwest Chicken Chili

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Healthy Southwest Chicken Chili

I call this a dump recipe, because you dump it in and go do something else until it's done.

I'm home alone for a few days and will be working late so dinner is either drive-thru or left overs. I choose left overs and what's better to warm up then chili. We are starting a new diet and I'm going with a low glycemic diet and low fat. So some chicken, beans and lots of taste. Baked in a dutch oven for several hours for simplicity. The results, really nice.


Rating
A solid 4 but might be a 5 in the middle of a Michigan winter.

CROCK-POT version is HERE

Notes: I modified my Southwest Pork Tenderloin Chili crock pot recipe. I like crock pot cooking but only had a few hours to do this. Several hours in a dutch over bake at 350 will get about the same results. This was about a 4/10 spicy. Adjust the spices to your preference.

Camera note: today I used an old Sony F717 that I repaired. I love the closeups and color tones with this camera. 
First you need about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken. If you have left over rotisserie that would be fine. Frozen chicken strips or any other chicken. But I had fresh chicken breasts. I trimmed and cut 2 skinless boneless chicken breast into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips.
Add about a teaspoon of oil to the dutch oven over medium high heat. When hot add the chicken and cook. Stir frequent until well cooked. About 10 minutes.
While cooking the chicken. Chop one green pepper, one medium onion and de-seed and dice a jalapeno pepper. 
Rinse the beans. You will need three 14 oz cans of beans of your choice. I used 2 cans of black beans and one of cannellini beans. Also start preheating your oven to 350 now.
Time for some chicken abuse. As the chicken strips are finishing up, chop them apart with your wooding spoon to make bit size pieces.
It is "dump" time. To the chicken add the beans, prepped green pepper, onion and jalapeno.  Add a 4 oz can of chopped chilies. About 16 oz of pre-made medium salsa. 4 cloves of garlic crushed (I cheated and used the jar stuff). Spices: 1 T chili powder, 1 t oregano, 1 t cumin. 
Now is decision time. If you want thick chili then one 14 oz can chicken broth. If you want a little more soup like then 2 cans. I did one can. Place back over medium high heat and bring to boil and mix well. 
Cover and bake or 1 1/2 to 2 hours.



Healthy Southwest Chicken Chili


Healthy with a spicy southwest taste. Low in fat but high in taste. Oven baked to simplify the cooking. Lots of food for little work.
Ingredients
  • 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 t oil
  • 1 jalapeno with seeds and veins removed - minced
  • 1 chopped green pepper
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2-14 oz cans black beans
  • 1-14 oz can cannellini beans
  • 16 oz medium salsa
  • 4 oz can chopped chilies
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 t oregano
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1-2 14 oz cans chicken broth
Instructions
1) First you need about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken. If you have left over rotisserie that would be fine. Frozen chicken strips or any other chicken. But I had fresh chicken breasts. I trimmed and cut 2 skinless boneless chicken breast into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips. 2) Add about a teaspoon of oil to the dutch oven over medium high heat. When hot add the chicken and cook. Stir frequent until well cooked. About 10 minutes. 3) While cooking the chicken. Chop one green pepper, one medium onion and de-seed and dice a jalapeno pepper. Rinse the beans. You will need three 14 oz cans of beans of your choice. I used 2 cans of black beans and one of cannellini beans. Also start preheating your oven to 350 now.4) Time for some chicken abuse. As the chicken strips are finishing up, chop them apart with your wooding spoon to make bit size pieces.5) To the chicken add the beans, prepped green pepper, onion and jalapeno. Add a 4 oz can of chopped chilies. About 16 oz of pre-made medium salsa. 4 cloves of garlic crushed (I cheated and used the jar stuff). Spices: 1 T chili powder, 1 t oregano, 1 t cumin. 6) If you want thick chili then one 14 oz can chicken broth. If you want a little more soup like then 2 cans.7) Place back over medium high heat and bring to boil and mix well. 8) Cover and bake or 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 servings

Updated

September 14 2011

DrDan

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At August 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

A Terrific post. Little too hot to think about chili, but the recipe (and that first photo) are terrific for October!

 
At August 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, I spend all day in air conditioning so I just want to come home and eat in 5 minutes. I love microwaves. Football season is just around the corner.
I really though the photo was good too. I love that old Sony camera.

 
At August 6, 2011 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I agree, this dish is good but I'm sure its ratings will increase in a few months!

 
At August 6, 2011 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe I should have called this December in August... well really July since it was last week.

 
At August 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Mother Rimmy said...

Chili is the perfect diet food. Lots of fiber and protein. Even better, you can dump all kinds of good for you veggies in it too! Love this!

 
At August 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely M.R. And Doctor approved.

 
At August 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Mary said...

I love a good chicken chili. I have several go-to recipes very similar to this one. Great eating for fall!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Carissa and Kyle said...

made this tonight and gave you a shout out on my blog! Are you on twitter?

 
At January 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

No twitter yet. I don't consider my wisdom that important. Just Facebook for now.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home