101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Texas Crock Pot Chili

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Texas Crock Pot Chili

Texas Chili... What is it? Well it could be any chili cooked in Texas or by a Texan but the consensus seems to be a beef chili with no beans. I will go with that...

I have been home alone for 6 weeks due to a family emergency so I'm "cooking for one". Plus I'm working 12 hour days. So I'm doing my cooking in chunks with left overs for heating up in the evening. I trying to avoid the "I'm hungry and have nothing at home so let's hit the drive-thru" syndrome. This all spells "Crock Pot" to me so this blog may look like a crockpot blog for a while.

I'm a believer in low glycemic diets for weigh loss and I need to recover from two years of food blogging. So even though beans are very healthy, I'm keeping carbs low at the moment.  As usual, I read way to many recipes and have no specific recipe to attribute as inspired by but several on Tastebook.com were quite useful.

See a newer spicier version: Spicy 3 Chilies Texas Chili a la Crock Pot


Rating:
It was good. I'm use to beans in my chili but I could get use to this. I was expecting more heat. So it didn't really qualify as  a 4. I will be repeating this soon since I'm on a low glycemic diet but I'm adding some other chilies and spicing it up some.

Notes: A 5/10 on the spice scale.

Start with 2 pounds of beef roast of you choice. Trim and cut into 1 inch cubes. Use pre-cut "stew meat" if you want.
Heat a tsp of oil over medium high heat. When hot add the beef along with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook until brown. About 5 minutes.
 Add to crockpot with the juices.
De-vein and mince one Jalapeno, chop two Poblano and chop a medium onion.
 Add the peppers and onion to the pot. Now add 3 cloves crushed garlic, 2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, a 14 oz can beef broth, one can green chilies (4 oz) and 2 tsp each of cumin, oregano and chili powder. Optional 1 can black beans drained.
Cook on low for 8 hours.





Texas Crock Pot Chili


A mildly spicy slow cooker chili in the Texas style with chunks of tender beef and no beans.
Ingredients
  • 2 pounds beef roast trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes or use stew meat
  • 1 t pepper
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t oil
  • 1 jalapeno pepper minced
  • 2 poblano pepper chopped
  • 2 - 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 -14 oz can beef broth
  • 1 - 4 oz can green chilies
  • 2 t cumin
  • 2 t oregano
  • 2 t chili powder
  • 1 can black beans rinsed (optional)
Instructions
1) Start with 2 pounds of beef roast of you choice. Trim and cut into 1 inch cubes. Use pre-cut "stew meat" if you want.2) Heat a tsp of oil over medium high heat. When hot add the beef along with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook until brown. About 5 minutes. Add to crock pot with the juices.3) De-vein and mince one Jalapeno, chop two Poblano and chop a medium onion. 4) Add the peppers and onion to the pot. Now add 3 cloves crushed garlic, 2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, a 14 oz can beef broth, one can green chilies (4 oz) and 2 tsp each of cumin, oregano and chili powder. Optional 1 can black beans drained.5) Cook on low for 8 hours.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 serving

Updated

February 11 2012

DrDan

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Chris said...

Weird, with all of those chiles in there, you would think it would be spicier, wouldn't you? Maybe some serrano chiles would help next time.

 
At February 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm just starting to learn my chilies. I had a deficient Iowan education. Not a lot of chilies.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home