101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Garlic Filet Mignon

Monday, March 22, 2010

Garlic Filet Mignon

For the garlic lover in you... a garlic topped filet mignon.

We're back one of my favorites and the meat that started this blog. I wanted to write up the trimming and cutting of a whole beef tenderloin but my recipe page just didn't seem right so my blog was born with 4 posts on the "care" of the beef tenderloin.

I have a habit of trying to find something in the freezer for the next weekday night when I'm making my routine lunch salad for the the next day. I grabbed two filets. While I did steak a poivre (the pepper crusted tenderloin) in a previous post, my wife (a big pepper fan) wanted garlic and I agreed.  I cruised a few recipes but didn't find want I wanted so I just jumped in. You have a hard time ruining this meat.

This as a one pan dish with my cast iron skillet but any oven proof pan should do. I seared both sides of the filet and then covered with garlic and transferred to the oven to finish.

Rating: 9.5 only because I just don't give tens. Great in all respects.

Tools: Oven proof fry pan. I used a 10 1/2 inch cast iron.

Ingredients:
2 1 1/2 inch thick filets
1 T regular olive oil or other high temp oil.
2 large cloves garlic crushed
2 T extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper


Instructions:
1) Salt and pepper both sides on filets. Let set at room temp for 30 minutes if possible. Preheat oven to 400 degrees convection.
2) Heat pan with regular olive oil over medium high heat until hot.
3) Sear both sides of the filets until dark brown. About 4-5 minutes per side.
4) Mix garlic with the extra virgin oil while #3
5) Remove from heat. Flip filets so hotter side is up and cooler side is down.
6) Coat each top with the oil/garlic mixture.
7) Place in oven on middle rack until internal temp is to your liking. I used 150 for medium rare. About 12-15 minutes.
8) Remove from oven and pan.
9) Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Notes: Obviously an easy recipe to scale to whatever number you need.




Garlic Filet Mignon


For the garlic lover in you... a garlic topped filet mignon. We're back one of my favorites and the meat that started this blog. I wanted to write up the trimming and cutting of a whole beef tenderloin but my recipe page just didn't seem right so my blog was born with 4 posts on the "care" of the beef tenderloin. I have a habit of trying to find something in the freezer for the next weekday night when I'm making my routine lunch salad for the the next day. I grabbed two filets. While I did steak a poivre (the pepper crusted tenderloin) in a previous post, my wife (a big pepper fan) wanted garlic and I agreed. I cruised a few recipes but didn't find want I wanted so I just jumped in. You have a hard time ruining this meat. This as a one pan dish with my cast iron skillet but any oven proof pan should do. I seared both sides of the filet and then covered with garlic and transferred to the oven to finish. Rating: 9.5 only because I just don't give tens. Great in all respects.
Ingredients
  • 2 1 1/2 inch thick filets
  • 1 T regular olive oil or other high temp oil.
  • 2 large cloves garlic crushe
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper
Instructions
1) Salt and pepper both sides on filets. Let set at room temp for 30 minutes if possible. Preheat oven to 400 degrees convection.2) Heat pan with regular olive oil over medium high heat until hot.3) Sear both sides of the filets until dark brown. About 4-5 minutes per side.4) Mix garlic with the extra virgin oil while #35) Remove from heat. Flip filets so hotter side is up and cooler side is down.6) Coat each top with the oil/garlic mixture.7) Place in oven on middle rack until internal temp is to your liking. I used 150 for medium rare. About 12-15 minutes.8) Remove from oven and pan.9) Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings

Updated

April 29, 2011

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Asparagus and fillet...it's hard to beat that!

 
At October 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Doing this tonight! Great post.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home