101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Easiest French Fries Ever

Friday, August 6, 2010

Easiest French Fries Ever

Cut. Put in oil. Cook for 25 minutes. Eat. No double frying, no watching temperature on the oil, no catches. It just works. The ultimate easy french fry recipe.


The original idea came from famed chef Joël Robuchon so credit to where credit is due. A Google search for cold oil french fries will find over 100,000 hits. I first saw Christopher Kimball present this on one of the morning shows. I have since seen it on his PBS shows several times. I had left over Yukon Gold potatoes from my healthier mash potatoes plus I figure I owe myself a little fat.

I used the CI recipe as a model and cut it down some to make it "Cooking For Two" friendly. The method is simple. First the potatoes should be Yukon Gold only. Apparently russets and others do not work well. They are cleaned and cut into 1/4 inch fries. They are put in cold oil. I used peanut that I happened to have but other oils work. The oil is put over high heat and not touched for 15 minutes. Then stir and release any stuck fries off bottom. Cooking until golden brown (about 10 minutes more).

Changes I made: I cut the amount of potato in half to 1 1/2 pound (three medium). Then I used only 4 cups of oil since that was enough to cover the fries.

Rating:

Notes: I have always loved narrower fries and extra crunchy. These are the "perfect" fries from my point of view. Also they are apparently lower in fat by 1/3.


Clean and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch fries. Very easy with a  mandolin or use a sharp chefs knife.
Add oil to Dutch oven and add fries. If fries are not covered with oil, add a little more.
Place over high heat. Cook for 15 minutes without touching. It will reach a hard boil after a few minutes. After 15 minutes using tongs or wooden spoon, stir and scrap bottom to release any stuck fries and to break apart any clumped fries.

Continue to cook about another 10 minutes until golden brown. Place into large bowl lined with multiple paper towels to drain. Salt to taste.

Trouble Shooting: Be sure the potatoes are YUKON GOLD. Other gold potatoes will not work.





Easiest French Fries Ever


Cut. Put in oil. Cook for 25 minutes. Eat. No double frying, no watching temperature on the oil, no catches. It just works. The ultimate easy french fry recipe.
Ingredients
1 1/2 lb/ about 3 medium potatoes Yukon Gold potatoes4 cups oil (peanut, canola or other vegetable with high smoking level) salt
Instructions
1) Clean and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch fries. Very easy with a mandolin or use a sharp chefs knife.2) Add oil to Dutch oven and add fries. If fries are not covered with oil, add a little more.3) Place over high heat. Cook for 15 minutes without touching. It will reach a hard boil after a few minutes.4) After 15 minutes using tongs or wooden spoon, stir and scrap bottom to release any stuck fries and to break apart any clumped fries.5) Continue to cook about another 10 minutes until golden brown.6) Place into large bowl lined with multiple paper towels to drain. Salt to taste.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

Updated

April 19, 2011

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM , Blogger Chorister said...

Tried this tonight solely to test my theory that Alabama White BBQ sauce would be good on french fries (it its.) I couldn't bring myself to believe the house wouldn't smell of oil after, so I did it outside on the grill burner. I have also heard you can reuse the oil. What are your thoughts on that?

 
At March 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I always reuse the oil several times. I use a strainer on it before I store it in the second fridge.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home