101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Freezer Burnt Chicken Breasts Rescue - Shredded Mexican

Monday, July 19, 2010

Freezer Burnt Chicken Breasts Rescue - Shredded Mexican

****SEE ANOTHER OPTION CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP ****
I'm guilty. I'm sure nobody out there has ever had a full bag of freezer burnt skinless boneless chicken breast. But on the unlikely event this would happen to your stupid brother (my brothers are smarter than this), let's see if we can do something with this. 

I found a bag of those wholesale club chicken breast in the back of the garage refrigerator freezer we replaced last week. So this poor meat is dehydrated, tough and tasteless. In other words, it is already hockey pucks. So I need to add moisture, texture and taste. A job ideal for Mexican. I love to have shredded chicken for burritos and enchiladas so on with the rescue.

The plan:
1) Simmer in chicken broth with  some spices and onion for an hour. I brought it to a boil in a large dutch oven then move to a preheated 300 degree oven with a tight lid. I did not trim any fat since it may help moisturize things.
2) Shred by hand so I could feel the texture and get rid any tough areas... There were none.
3) After re-hydration and shredding, spice it up well to cover any taste issues... I don't think there was any.

Results 8.8 Taste 9.2 texture 8.8 work 8.5

Notes: Amazingly good especially considering I would have tossed this. Tools: 6 qt. Dutch oven with a tight lid

Preheat oven to 300 convection. Chop onions.

Add onion, 2 cans chicken broth,1 T crushed garlic, 1 t cumin, and 1 t salt to Dutch oven over high heat. Mix well, add chicken and bring to boil.  Cover with lid and move to over for 1 hour.
Remove from oven and move breast to plate to cool for 15 minutes then shred by hand. Move broth to a separate container.
Add chicken and all of part two ingredients back into Dutch oven and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and use in burritos, enchiladas, etc.




Freezer Burnt Chicken Breasts Rescue - Shredded Mexican


The plan: 1) Simmer in chicken broth with some spices and onion for an hour. I brought it to a boil in a large dutch oven then move to a preheated 300 degree oven with a tight lid. I did not trim any fat since it may help moisturize things. 2) Shred by hand so I could feel the texture and get rid any tough areas... There were none. 3) After rehydration and shredding, spice it up well to cover any taste issues... I don't think there was any. Results 8.8 Taste 9.2 texture 8.8 work 8.5 Notes: Amazingly good especially considering I would have tossed this
Ingredients
Step 15 thawed freezer burnt skinless boneless chicken breast2-14 oz cans 14 oz cans chicken broth2 medium onions, chopped medium1 T crushed garlic1 t cumin1 t saltStep 215 oz can tomato sauce2 T chili powder1 t black pepper 1 t cumin1/2 t cayenne pepper1 cup broth from step one most of the onion from step one
Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 300 convection 2) Chop onions. Add onion, 2 cans chicken broth,1 T crushed garlic, 1 t cumin, and 1 t salt to Dutch oven over high heat. Mix well, add chicken and bring to boil.3) Cover with lid and move to over for 1 hour.4) Remove from oven and move breast to plate to cool for 15 minutes then shred by hand. Move broth to a separate container. 5) Add chicken and all of part two ingredients back into Dutch oven and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.6) Remove from heat and use in burritos, enchiladas, etc.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings

Updated

April 18, 2011

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Rita said...

Love that you were able to salvage and I am sure it tasted as if it had not been in such bad shape.
Sounds like a grat recipe.
Rita

 
At July 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I looked for other solutions but found nothing so I just winged it. I just had my second meal off it a few minutes ago and was great as leftovers also.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Alannah said...

I found this from googling freezer burned chicken recipe and happened to have all the ingredients on hand so I thought "what the hell, otherwise its garbage". It was so amazing that I'm now making it for the second time with un-freezer burned chicken breasts specially bought for this! Thanks for the great recipe, cheers

 
At January 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I made this recipe and put it in your enchilada recipe and also used your sauce recipe. It was so good! Thank you so much!

 
At January 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I glad it worked out for you.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home