101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Grilled Stuffed Tomato - Italian Style

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Grilled Stuffed Tomato - Italian Style

I'm "into" grilled sides for my grilled meat. After the very successful grill peaches the other night, I thought a veggie was in-order (yes, I do know a tomato is really a fruit).

I really searched but couldn't find anything I wanted so here is another original recipe.

My design:
1) Use a fresh tomato for the grilling "container" for good stuff
2) Add nothing that would really need to cook like meat since I didn't know what internal temp I could get.
3) I wanted to use common ingredients that I already had on hand.

Rating 9.2 Taste 9.3 Effort 9  Time:10 minutes prep and 10 minutes grilling

Notes: You could stuff with almost anything. I'm eying a pound of Italian sausage I have in the freezer that will of course need to be precooked. The skin will come off the tomato but do not remove since it will help to hold it togeather.

Tools: The usual clean gas grill

Ingredients:
2 Large tomatoes
1/4 cup Feta cheese
1/4 cup plus 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup plus 1 T Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 t parsley
1/2 t salt
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t basal
1/4 t pepper
1 clove garlic crushed
1T olive oil plus some for brushing

Instructions:
1) Preheat grill on high. Clean and oil grates. Decrease temp to low on the section used for the tomatoes but leave other side on high or close to it.
2) Wash tomatoes and cut tops off. Spoon out inside being careful not to go through the outside.
3) Wash out the shells and take the inner core that you removed and wash off any seeds.
 4) Chop the cores into 1/4 inch cubes removing any tough parts.
5) In a mixing bowl, combine chopped tomato, 1/4 cup each of feta, Parmesan and Italian bread crumbs. Add salt, pepper, parsley. oregano, basal and garlic. Mix well. Stuff tomato shells.
6) Mix 1 tablespoon parmesan, bread crumbs and olive oil. Top each stuffed tomato with half of mixture.
7) Brush tomato skin with oil and place over low heat.
8) Cook for about 10 minutes until skin is falling off and top is browning.

Note: Carefully remove from grill with spatula underneath or it may fall apart.


Grilled Stuffed Tomato - Italian Style


I'm "into" grilled sides for my grilled meat. After the very successful grill peaches the other night, I thought a veggie was in-order (yes, I do know a tomato is really a fruit). I really searched but couldn't find anything I wanted so here is another original recipe. My design: 1) Use a fresh tomato for the grilling "container" for good stuff 2) Add nothing that would really need to cook like meat since I didn't know what internal temp I could get. 3) I wanted to use common ingredients that I already had on hand.
Ingredients
2 Large Large tomatoes1/4 cup Feta cheese1/4 cup plus 1 T grated Parmesan cheese1/4 cup plus 1 T Italian seasoned bread crumbs1 t parsley1/2 t salt1/2 t oregano1/2 t basal1/4 t pepper1 clove garlic crushed1T olive oil plus some for brushing
Instructions
) Preheat grill on high. Clean and oil grates. Decrease temp to low on the section used for the tomatoes but leave other side on high or close to it.2) Wash tomatoes and cut tops off. Spoon out inside being careful not to go through the outside.3) Wash out the shells and take the inner core that you removed and wash off any seeds. 4) Chop the cores into 1/4 inch cubes removing any tough parts.5) In a mixing bowl, combine chopped tomato, 1/4 cup each of feta, Parmesan and Italian bread crumbs. Add salt, pepper, parsley. oregano, basal and garlic. Mix well. Stuff tomato shells.6) Mix 1 tablespoon parmesan, bread crumbs and olive oil. Top each stuffed tomato with half of mixture.7) Brush tomato skin with oil and place over low heat.8) Cook for about 10 minutes until skin is falling off and top is browning. Note: Carefully remove from grill with spatula underneath or it may fall apart.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 4 servings

Updated

April 26, 2011

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Rita said...

I love stuffed tomatoes; haven't made them in ages. But I never thought of putting them on teh grill; smart idea.
Rita

 
At July 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I had never had one before so I was very happy with the results. I'm going to follow a recipe someday.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home