101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Healthy Low Fat Burgers

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Healthy Low Fat Burgers

You want a great tasting hamburger but you need low fat. Everybody knows you should have  at least 80/20 hamburger for taste and moisture. That is 20% fat and in my 1/2 lb burger it is over 3 tablespoons of fat. All good recipes call for at least that much fat but IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU.We will decrease that by 80% and have great taste and moisture.

This is the best lower fat burger I have ever had.


I usually get something like 90% lean and with careful grilling is is only a little dry. Well sometimes you can get both what you want and what you need. This recipe came from the Char Broil blog Sizzle on the Grill and I have no idea how I found it but it was in my to try file and fits what I'm trying to do with our diets.

Rating:
The moisture was great.

Notes: I did something I don't normally do. I bought a spice mix. Montreal Steak Seasoning. I  have always done individual spices before. You could of course try any spice combo you wanted.
I admit to doing 1/2 lb burgers. My guess using http://caloriecount.about.com is  after cooking and allowing for  drainage of fat with cooking is the caloric count for the meat went from about 420 calories to 280 and the fat down from 27 to about 10 grams. These are my approximations only.
So, you can now have a large burger relatively guilt free. But we all know we should eat a smaller serving.

Tools: rolling pin, clean gas grill

Ingredients:
1 lb 95-96% lean burger
2 T Quick oats
1/2 t Montreal Steak Seasoning
Buns, onion, tomato, low fat cheese slices and condiments.

Instructions:
1) Preheat grill on high, clean and oil.
2) Put oats in small baggie, seal and crush with rolling pin (very fine). 
3) Add Montreal Seasoning to oats and mix will then add mixture to burger. 
Incorporate well into beef. (I used my hands)
4) Make burgers  a little bigger than the buns then depress the center by about a quarter of an inch to keep burgers from puffing up during grilling if they are thick.
5) Place over high heat on grill. Grill for 6 minutes per side initially then flip every 5-6 minutes until internal temp of 165.
6) Remove for heat and toast buns for about 2 minutes. Apply fixings and serve.




Healthy Low Fat Burgers


You want a great tasting hamburger but you need low fat. Everybody knows you should have at least 80/20 hamburger for taste and moisture. That is 20% fat and in my 1/2 lb burger it is over 3 tablespoons of fat. All good recipes call for at least that much fat but IT IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU.We will decrease that by 80% and have great taste and moisture. This is the best lower fat burger I have ever had. I usually get something like 90% lean and with careful grilling is is only a little dry. Well sometimes you can get both what you want and what you need. This recipe came from the Char Broil blog Sizzle on the Grill and I have no idea how I found it but it was in my to try file and fits what I'm trying to do with our diets.
Ingredients
1 lb 95-96% lean burger2 T Quick oats1/2 t Montreal Steak Seasoning Buns, onion, tomato, low fat cheese slices and condiments.
Instructions
1) Preheat grill on high, clean and oil.2) Put oats in small baggie, seal and crush with rolling pin (very fine). 3) Add Montreal Seasoning to oats and mix will then add mixture to burger. Incorporate well into beef. (I used my hands)4) Make burgers a little bigger than the buns then depress the center by about a quarter of an inch to keep burgers from puffing up during grilling if they are thick.5) Place over high heat on grill. Grill for 6 minutes per side initially then flip every 5-6 minutes until internal temp of 165.6) Remove for heat and toast buns for about 2 minutes. Apply fixings and serve
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings

Updated

April 23, 2011

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home