101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Super Bowl Week - Red Chili

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Super Bowl Week - Red Chili


I have been asked several time recently for my chili recipes. I don't have any specific plans to make any soon so no pictures for now but I will edit the post with pictures when I have them.  I assure you they are well tested.

Second up is the red chili recipe.

For many years I used Carl Shelby Chili Mix with what I felt was great success. It was one of those follow the directions on the bag and be brave and change it a little. Well as things happen, the mix became unavailable locally for almost a year and then came back but by then, I created my own version by trial and error. I liked it better anyways.

I know the amount of chili powder looks excessive but it is correct.
The "heat" of this is somewhere around a 4 out of 10. You may increase or decrease the cayenne pepper according to your "heat" taste.

(Printable Recipe)
Tools: Large slow cooker

Ingredients ( this is a double batch...freezes well or cut in half)

4 pounds Ground beef - low fat is better so you will have less fat to skim
1 15 oz can tomato sauce and one can of water
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans light kidney beans
4 medium onions chopped
2 T oil
1 bell pepper chopped (optional)
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 T oregano
1 t paprika
2 t salt
1 t pepper
8 T (1/2 cup) chili powder
1 t Cayenne pepper
extra water to make right consistency- may need 1-2 cups

Instructions:
1)  Large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 T oil then add onion and cook until transparent (about 4 minutes).
2) Add ground beef. Break up with wooden spoon and then brown meat.
3) Remove all extra fluid and fat. Place meat and onion mixture in the Crock pot.
4) Add all remaining ingredients.
5) Cook on low for 3-4 hours with lid on. Stir frequently

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home