101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Cowboy Coffee Rubbed Sirloin Steak

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cowboy Coffee Rubbed Sirloin Steak

Amazingly good. My wife initial asked me please not to do both steaks with this. I had a backup plan of a package of split chicken breasts so I went for it anyways. Here is her reaction.
When I first saw this sort of recipe, I though how strange and was thinking coffee grounds. YUCK. But the idea grew on my and after much research, here is my version. (and it was not coffee ground like)


I must have read 30 recipes. I read Bobby Fray. I read Ellie Krieger, Emeril, Food Network, Epicurious and lots of blogs. They were not even close to each other and each was the best think since sliced bread.  Amazing.  In most but not all coffee was the dominate ingredient. Some wanted espresso, some finely ground and some coarsely ground. In others chili powder or salt might be dominate. Some with 8 plus ingredients. The cowboys didn't have 8 ingredients, that's why they used coffee for flavor.

How could it be and what to do? I picked simple. The simplest versions were coffee with salt and pepper with a few other ingredients. We usually cook our steaks with "M-salt" which is course salt with garlic, pepper and a few herbs. LINK HERE. So to test the coffee as an ingredient, I did kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and I add a little brown sugar to help it crust.

Rating 
 You can taste some coffee. Give it a try and you might just love it.

Mix ingredient. 2 T finely ground coffee, 1 T kosher salt, 1 t brown sugar, 1/2 t garlic powder and black pepper. My coffee was whole bean so I needed to grind it first.
 Rinse and pat dry the steak.
 Trim well.
 Coat the steak with a moderate coat and rub in well.
Let meat rest at room temp for 15 minutes while grill preheats. Clean and oil grill.
Place meat over high heat and flip every 5-6 minutes. Cook until internal temp of about 150. About 20-25 minutes depending on grill and thicken.
Allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.




Cowboy Coffee Rubbed Sirloin Steak


A simple coffee rubbed sirloin steak. Amazingly good and easy for a different taste.
Ingredients
  • 2 sirloin steaks about 8-10 oz each well trimed
  • finely ground coffee
  • 1 T kosher salt
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t black pepper
Instructions
1) Mix ingredient. 2 T finely ground coffee, 1 T kosher salt, 1 t brown sugar, 1/2 t garlic powder and black pepper. My coffee was whole bean so I needed to grind it first. 2) Rinse and pat dry the steak. Trim well. Coat the steak with a moderate coat and rub in well. 3) Let meat rest at room temp for 15 minutes while grill preheats. Clean and oil grill.4) Place meat over high heat and flip every 5-6 minutes. Cook until internal temp of about 150. About 20-25 minutes depending on grill and thicken. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings

Updated

September 14 2011

DrDan

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At August 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Oh a huge thumbs up indeed from me on coffee rubs... ads just a tiny hint of chocolate to the taste! Mouthwatering!

 
At August 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM , Blogger Jess said...

This looks and sounds amazing! I am a huge coffee lover but have yet to try it in a food recipe. Thanks!

 
At August 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I hate coffee, don't drink the stuff, but found last year that I really enjoy a coffee and chile based rub for beef. Seems like such a weird combo to me but the taste is there.

 
At July 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry but those steaks look spoiled to me -- they never would have made it to my grill.

 
At July 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hummm a little color touch up many have helped on the photo. I'm a strict food safety guy... I watch dates and storage recommendations. It is never worth getting sick for a few dollars. Some oxidation on the surface does not bother me if the other things are ok. This goes for whole meat like steak. NEVER for ground meats which harbor nasty bugs

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home