101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Mayonnaise Grilled Bone-in Skin-on (Split) Chicken Breast

Friday, August 27, 2010

Mayonnaise Grilled Bone-in Skin-on (Split) Chicken Breast

A nice change of pace with that mayonnaise taste but mildly spicy. Less than an hour from start to eating.


 I wanted something different to do with a chicken. Now that is harder than you might think.  I have done chicken in oh so many ways. I had some bone in split chicken breast but what to do that wouldn't require more than an hour?

What I wanted:
1) Fewer ingredients than usual to keep it simple.
2) Something I could smoke.
3) Mildly spicy
4) Scalable to any size.
There are a few oven base recipes that use mayo but I only found one that was grilled at GrillinFools that was for boneless. I had skin and bone that was thick. I decided that I would use a less mayo so I decreased the mayo while proportionally upping the spice some but I did smoke them and cook somewhat indirect.

Rating:
A very nice change of pace that is a weeknight type recipe.

Notes:  I cheat frequently. When I do indirect grilling, I will leave the low burner on the minimum. I find this a great technique that keeps a more even heat on that side of the grill without the "burning" effect of direct heat. Doing this, the total grill time for these breast was about 30 minutes while the night before I did 8:3:1:1 rub breast over medium high that took 25 minutes.


Tools: Clean gas grill with optional smoking box.

Ingredients:
2 split chicken breasts
2 handfuls of hickory smoking chips (optional)
Rub:
1/4 cup mayonnaise ( I used low fat)
1 T paprika
1/2 t celery salt
1/2 t chipotle powder

Instructions:
 
1) Set chicken breast out at room temp. Put chips in smoker box (optional) and preheat grill on high. Clean and oil.
2) While grill is heating, trim chicken and cut in half. Remove the rib section.
3) Mix rub, then apply to all sides of the chicken  with brush.

4) When chips start to smoke, turn one side of grill to minimum and leave other side on high. Place chicken on cooler side with skin side up.
5) Grill for  10 minutes initially  then start turning about every 5-7 minutes until internal temp is 165.
 



Mayonnaise Grilled Bone-in Skin-on (Split) Chicken Breast


A nice change of pace with that mayonnaise taste but mildly spicy. Less than an hour from start to eating. I wanted something different to do with a chicken. Now that is harder than you might think. I have done chicken in oh so many ways. I had some bone in split chicken breast but what to do that wouldn't require more than an hour? What I wanted: 1) Fewer ingredients than usual to keep it simple. 2) Something I could smoke. 3) Mildly spicy 4) Scalable to any size.
Ingredients
2 bone-in skin-on chicken breast (AKA split chicken breast)2 handfuls hickory smoking chips (optional) Rub:1/4 cup mayonnaise ( I used low fat)1 T paprika1/2 t celery salt1/2 t chipotle powder
Instructions
1) Set chicken breast out at room temp. Put chips in smoker box (optional) and preheat grill on high. Clean and oil.2) While grill is heating, trim chicken and cut in half. Remove the rib section.3) Mix rub, then apply to all sides of the chicken with brush.4) When chips start to smoke, turn one side of grill to minimum and leave other side on high. Place chicken on cooler side with skin side up.5) Grill for 10 minutes initially then start turning about every 5-7 minutes until internal temp is 165.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 servings

Updated

April 23, 2011

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At August 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Nice color on that sauce, you did a good job adjusting it for the smoke.

 
At August 27, 2010 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, you have a hard time going wrong with paprika and smoke together,

 
At August 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM , Anonymous noble pig said...

I love this idea, I'm a mayo nut.

 
At August 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It is what sent me looking for something like this to begin with.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home