101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Homemade Everyday Seasoning Salt - 7:2:1 Mix (and 7:2:2)

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homemade Everyday Seasoning Salt - 7:2:1 Mix (and 7:2:2)

This is one for the lazy in me and the need to simplify things. A great choice on almost everything. A mixture of common spices ideal to add to meats or vegetables. Ready to use without measuring every time.


For Father's Day (yes, I know it was a while ago) my wife gave me a gift certificate to the local cooking school Artisan Cooking School in Grand Haven. I don't think she was trying to give me a hint, just that she thought we could enjoy it together. She was right. I opted for the grilling class (big surprise there...).  Howard Norris is the chef/owner and was an excellent host and very educational. Multiple grilled meats and sided dishes were prepared quickly and efficiently with lots of discussion and pointers. Plus we got to eat it all. A wonderful evening.

One of the common themes with the meat preparation was the use of a common and very simple mix of spices. Nothing fancy. A 7:2:1 ratio of  kosher salt:pepper:granular garlic. It worked great on everything that night. I have used it several times since then with similar great results. Retrospective, the ratio is very similar to many of my and others recipes.

Rating
Excellent, wonderful and other adjectives. I know that "I could survive on this alone" doesn't apply here.

It is in a container on my stove and will be refilled frequently for many years to come. A great time saver.

I wrote the recipe using tablespoons but obviously, it could be teaspoons, cups, ounces or whatever.

Note: published as a separate post so I can link back to it in other posts.

Modification for the Garlic-asaurus-I live with a garlic loving wife along with the rest of my family when they are here. For them I use 7:2:2




Homemade Everyday Spice Salt - 7:2:1 Mix


A great choice on almost everything. A mixture of common spices ideal to add to meats or vegetables. Ready to use without measuring every time. Modification for the Garlic-asaurus- I live with a garlic loving wife along with the rest of my family when they are here. For them I use 7:2:2
Ingredients
  • 7 T Kosher salt
  • 2 T Black pepper
  • 1 T Granular garlic
Instructions
Mix well
Details
Prep time: Total time: Yield: 1/3 cup

Updated

September 14 2011

DrDan

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 27, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I have 3 spice mixes I always keep on hand. May need to add a 4th... sounds perfect

 
At August 31, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I'll have to play with my ratios a bit. I often use a 2-3:1:1 like this, but I like a strong pepper kick.

That is a very cool gift from your wife!

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home