101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Cheddar Bay Biscuits a la Red Lobster

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cheddar Bay Biscuits a la Red Lobster

I may not be the biggest Red Lobster fan but the Cheddar Bay Biscuits are pure evil. Oh so tender and moist and just exploding with flavor. This is my own take on these garlic-cheddar fat loaded devils. (Maded without Bisquick.)

Some recipes you just have to do. First, daughter number one sent me a link to a Life as a Lofthouse post. The pictures were great but she used Bisquick (as does multiple recipes). I don't usually use a mix and I didn't have it anyways. Then my son (Mr. Milk Allergy) called for my recipe which he remembers from 15 yrs ago before his milk allergy for a friend. He uses soy milk and not this recipe.

Rating
An easy five. This is basically what I have done for years but with more butter. It is so close to the Red Lobster taste and texture I can't tell the difference.

Notes: I did Google some and combine some recipes with mine. The above linked post is the most  common recipe out there and I'm sure is good but I really REALLY like mine. Over the years I have frequently tried to make a lower fat biscuit. I really have had some very nice results. Check under the bread label. But it is the butter that makes these that extra step above the others.

I did cut the recipe down a little to make just 6 good size biscuits. This is "cooking for two" if you haven't noticed.  Double if you need to.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees convection.
Add 1 1/2 cups AP flour to a medium size mixing bowl. Add 3 T of butter and cut in with a large fork or crust cutter.
 Add 1 T baking powder, 1/2 t garlic powder, 1 t salt . If you used salted butter cut the salt in half. Add 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. I like mild cheddar here. Mix well.
Add 3/4 cup milk. I use whatever milk I have or even reconstituted dry milk. The butter will take care of the fat needs. Mix well but you don't need to over mix.
Spray a baking pan with Pam and make 6 even mounds (a heaping 1/4 cup). Bake at 400 for 14-15 minutes. (I forgot the Pam in the picture)
Just before the biscuits are done, combine 1 1/2 T butter, 1/4 t parsley flakes, 1/2 t garlic powder and 1/8 t salt if you have unsalted butter.
 Brush the completed biscuits with the butter mixture and serve hot.





Cheddar Bay Biscuits


A Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit copy cat. Oh so tender and moist and just exploding with flavor. This is my own take on these garlic-cheddar fat loaded devils.
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 3 T butter
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1 t salt (cut in half if using salted butter)
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 3/4 cup milk
Topping
  • 1 1/2 T butter
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 t parsley flakes
  • 1/4 t salt (if using unsalted butter)
Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees convection.2) Add 1 1/2 cups AP flour to a medium size mixing bowl. Add 3 T of butter and cut in with a large fork or crust cutter.3) Add 1 T baking powder, 1/2 t garlic powder, 1 t salt . If you used salted butter cut the salt in half. Add 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. I like mild cheddar here. Mix well.4) Add 3/4 cup milk. I use whatever milk I have or even reconstituted dry milk. The butter will take care of the fat needs. Mix well but you don't need to over mix. 5) Spray a baking pan with Pam and make 6 even mounds (a heaping 1/4 cup). Bake at 400 for 14-15 minutes.6) Just before the biscuits are done, combine 1 1/2 T butter, 1/4 t parsley flakes, 1/2 t garlic powder and 1/8 t salt if you have unsalted butter.7) Brush the completed biscuits with the butter mixture and serve hot.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 6 biscuits

Updated

September 24 2011

DrDan

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At September 26, 2011 at 1:30 PM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

DELICIOUS! Yeah, not a fan, but the rolls are by far the best! great recipe.

And thanks for being such an active part of eRecipeCards.com Love seeing your body of work you are building!

http://erecipecards.com/account/userrecipes.php?id=28

Dave

 
At September 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Those things are addictive! They are even great the next morning, cold.

 
At August 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just made a batch of these for dinner and they were great! First time I've ever tried "baking from scratch" and honestly I was a little worried but this recipe was so simple! You have a new fan.

 
At August 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are evil little devils. Now that you have done scratch, you will never go back.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home