101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Crockpot Southwest Chicken Chili - Oh So Good

Monday, September 12, 2011

Crockpot Southwest Chicken Chili - Oh So Good

This will warm you to the bone and please your taste buds, this slow cooker version of one of my most popular recipe Southwest Chicken Chili (this is your "it is almost a rerun" alert).
It was a cold week here in west Michigan and we had some "most go"... some peppers, a jalapeno and some chicken breast that would soon be freezer burnt and I really don't want to do another freezer burnt chicken recipe. So the chicken chili was a good choice. My wife missed the previous batch she I wanted her input also.

My previous version was in a dutch oven and involved cooking the chicken first and then using the oven. It was really good but I wanted to simplify the recipe and a crock pot is just the right thing. No precooking for me. I also modified a few ingredient and gave you some options.

Rating
A very strong 4. If I didn't have so many other really good chili/soup recipes, it would be a 5. We both had seconds two evening in a row and then my wife finished it for lunch. I guess it was alright.

Notes: You need beans. To me chili always has beans. I used two cans of cannellini  and a can of black beans. Use any combination you want. I used a 10 oz can of Rotel to replace 2 cups of salsa in the other recipe. My wife has never been a salsa lover. It is chili, you are not wedded to a recipe.

Optional thickening: I used Masa to thicken the chili some. It works well and adds a bit of corn flavor. Or you could add corn starch, flour or just leave the lid off the crock pot the last hour.

 Trim and cube (about 3/4 inch) 3 skinless boneless chicken breast. (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs).
 Cut your veggies. I used a large yellow onion, a green and a red pepper and a jalapeno.
 
Add all the ingredients except the optional masa and water. You can rinse the beans if you wish and it may decrease the sodium some. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Thickening Option: with 20-30 minutes left in the cooking you can combine 1/4 cup masa flour and 1/2 cup of water. I used a Tupperware gravy mixer but a bowl and whisk would do.
 Mix your masa mixture in well and let finish cooking.





Crockpot Southwest Chicken Chili


This will warm you to the bone and please your taste buds, this slow cooker version of one of my most popular recipe Southwest Chicken Chili.
Ingredients
  • 3 Skinless boneless chicken breast about 2 lbs or a little more
  • 2 green or red peppers diced
  • 1 large yellow or white onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 3 -14 oz cans beans (2 cannellini 1 black)
  • 1 - 10 oz can Rotel
  • 1 - 14 oz can chicken broth
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 t cumin
  • 1 t oregano
  • 1 T Chili powder
Optional thickening1/4 cup masa flour1/2 cup water
Instructions
1) Trim and cube (about 3/4 inch) 3 skinless boneless chicken breast. (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs). 2) Cut your veggies and prep garlic (crushed or minced)3) Add all the ingredients except the optional masa and water. You can rinse the beans if you wish and it may decrease the sodium some.4) Cook on low for 8 hours.5) Thickening Option: with 20-30 minutes left in the cooking you can combine 1/4 cup masa flour and 1/2 cup of water. I used a Tupperware gravy mixer but a bowl and whisk would do.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 8 servings



Updated

September 14 2011

DrDan

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At September 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Beautiful photo... just wanted to stop and say thanks for being such an active part of erecipecards... Love your recipes...

All of your recipes show up here...

http://erecipecards.com/account/userrecipes.php?id=28

Great body of work (so far)... Keep submitting ;-)
Dave

 
At September 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Jeffrey and Juli said...

We're still waiting for colder weather here in Iowa, but I'm definitely going to try this out soon. Gotta love those crock pot meals! Or, as the snobby cooking magazines now call them, "slow cookers". :)

Juli

 
At September 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM , Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

I really like this recipe. I'm new to your blog and decided to spend some extra time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really love the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

 
At September 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Chris said...

The weather turned cold here last week so I'll be keeping this one in mind for someday soon. Nice trick with the masa harina.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home