101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Salsa Roja

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Salsa Roja

This is a recipe to take to a party and brag you did it yourself. This has been on my to do list for a long time and the first Saturday of college football is a good reason.

A fresh tomato salsa is mandatory at all tailgating, most picnics and all Mexican meals. Really it's not hard, just a lot of knife work.

As I wondered the internet last night, I found a new blog to me at The Hungry Texan.  Very nice blog, please check it out. The Salsa Roja caught my eye as being simple with just fresh things. No cumin or other spices. I knew it would be hot with the 4 jalapeno peppers but I was ready to man up. My wife rarely eats salsa so I went for the hot. A few other minor changes with red onion and only a little cilantro and I have a new standard recipe.

Rating:
A 4 for most people I'm sure. It's definitely a well above average salsa. I will be making it again but I don't see using it frequently. It will probably be my only tomato salsa recipe.

Notes: Vary the Jalapenos for the heat you want. I did four as per the original recipe. This is 4+ hot. I'm more of a 2+ guy so that gets cut back next time. The cilantro has never been my favorite thing so I didn't do a lot.

Tools: A good sharp knife

Ingredients:
4 Roma tomatoes
2-4 jalapenos
1/2 small red onion
2-4 cloves garlic
1/8 to 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 cup water (give or take depending on the thickness you want)

Instructions:
1) Clean the seeds out of both the tomatoes and jalapenos.
2) Chop the tomatoes into about 1/4 inch pieces.
3) Finely mince the jalapenos, onion, cilantro and garlic.
4) Mix all well except water. Add water to get the thickness you want.




Salsa Roja


This is a recipe to take to a party and brag you did it yourself. This has been on my to do list for a long time and the first Saturday of college football is a good reason. A fresh tomato salsa is mandatory at all tailgating, most picnics and all Mexican meals. Really it's not hard, just a lot of knife work.
Ingredients
4 Roma tomatoes2-4 jalapenos1/2 small red onion2-4 cloves garlic1/8 to 1/4 cup (optional) chopped cilantro1 t salt1/2 t black pepper1/2 cup(give or take depending on the thickness you want) water
Instructions
1) Clean the seeds out of both the tomatoes and jalapenos.2) Chop the tomatoes into about 1/4 inch pieces.3) Finely mince the jalapenos, onion, cilantro and garlic. 4) Mix all well except water. Add water to get the thickness you want.
Details
Prep time: Total time: Yield: 2 cups

Updated

April 23, 2011

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At September 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM , Blogger SweetsSuccessBaking said...

Alrighty! It's almost time for the San Diego Chargers to beat everyone else .... except when they don't. :-)

 
At September 4, 2010 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It could be the Lions... but they appear to have a pulse this year.

At least Michigan won.

 
At September 5, 2010 at 10:18 AM , Blogger Chris said...

It is hard to beat fresh salsa and this one looks good. But I like mine with a good bit of cilantro. It's one of those love it or hate it kind of things.

 
At September 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM , Blogger The Hungry Texan said...

Hey Dr Dan, glad to see you made the salsa! Love the blog, your garlic chicken recipe looks delicious, I'll have to try that one :)

 
At September 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's wonderfully simple. Your site is really nice. I only put up links for sites I love and you're on my blog list. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home