101 Cooking For Two - Everyday Recipes for Two: Pulled Pork For Two - Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Pulled Pork For Two - Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs

This is really my first post I have written for several weeks since we were off to see the new grandchild. Very cute.

I have done pulled pork several ways but they are really not "cooking of two" friendly. Way too much in left overs. My "pulled pork" with a pork loin had a good exterior and the outer 1/3 was excellent but the rest was somewhat dry and dependent on the sauce for taste and moisture. And a pork shoulder is too big and way too much work for two.

Well a boneless country style rib is thinner than the loin and has some fat along with a fat cap. My plan was to brine the meat for moisture. Coat with spices and oil. Then cook over low direct heat until 190 plus.


Result: 9 Taste 9.2 Crusty 9 Taste 9 Work 8.8 This is good enough that we set there nibbling on the meat after lunch was over.

Notes: I left the fat cap on but there is a tough  membrane under it so I don't think it let the fat that melted flow into the meat. This needs to be cut into a diamond cross cut or removed. The oil should be enough to help prevent drying. I was out of smoking chips so I didn't smoke this but it should add something.

I used direct heat for several reasons. First and most important, large pieces of meat need low heat so the outside isn't charcoal before the center is cooked. The second is just speed. I think you could skip the brine for more speed and have only a little effect.


Useful links
My Memphis  BBQ Sauce - You must try this   (Pictured above)
8:3:1:1 Rub

Marlowe's Memphis Rub
Recipezaar # 16732 - Gates & Son's KC BBQ Rub
Recipezaar # 16745 Gates & Son's KC BBQ Sauce

Notes on rub and sauce.  I now make all my own sauce and rubs. I did use only Gates of Kansas City sauce and rubs. I enjoyed them for 35 years and  mail order them by the case and give a lot away. Gates from Kansas City Link. You should use what ever rub or sauce you enjoy. Bull's-Eye Original Barbecue Sauce is recommended by CI. You can Google or buy what your local market has.

Tools: Nothing special

Ingredients:
1  slab boneless country style pork ribs
3 T vegetable oil

Brine
2 cups Water
2 T salt
2 T brown sugar

Rub 
1 T paprika
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt only if you don't brine
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t cayenne

Instructions:
1) Be sure the premade cross cuts are about 1/2 through the meat. Flip meat and cross cut fat cap into about 3/4 inch diamonds (see note).
2) Mix all brine ingredients.  Refrigerate and brine for 1-4 hours. Skip this step if  you wish.
3) Preheat grill and clean. Oil and reduce heat to low.

4) Mix rub.


5) Remove from brine. Pat dry. Mix approximate 1/2 of rub in 3 T of vegetable oil. Dry rub remainder of the rub on the meat being sure to get into cuts. Now coat with the oil/rub mixture.
6) Place over low direct heat with fat cap up. Cook until internal temp is 190-200. About 50-60 minutes.

7) Remove and wrap in foil for 10-30 minutes.

8) Using large forks, shred on cutting board.




Pulled Pork For Two - Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs


I have done pulled pork several ways but they are really not "cooking of two" friendly. Way too much in left overs. My "pulled pork" with a pork loin had a good exterior and the outer 1/3 was excellent but the rest was somewhat dry and dependent on the sauce for taste and moisture. And a pork shoulder is too big and way too much work for two. Part of my Country Style Boneless Pork Ribs series. Click for more options. Well a boneless country style rib is thinner than the loin and has some fat along with a fat cap. My plan was to brine the meat for moisture. Coat with spices and oil. Then cook over low direct heat until 190 plus. Result: 9 Taste 9.2 Crusty 9 Taste 9 Work 8.8 This is good enough that we set there nibbling on the meat after lunch was over.
Ingredients
boneless country style pork rib3 T vegetable oil Brine2 cups Water2 T salt2 T brown sugar Rub 1 T paprika1 T brown sugar1 t salt only if you don't brine1/2 t black pepper1/2 t onion powder1/2 t garlic powder1/4 t cayenne
Instructions
1) Be sure the premade cross cuts are about 1/2 through the meat. Flip meat and cross cut fat cap into about 3/4 inch diamonds (see note)2) Mix all brine ingredients. Refigerate and brine for 1-4 hours. Skip this step if you wish.3) Preheat grill and clean. Oil and reduce heat to low.4) Mix rub. 5) Remove from brine. Pat dry. Mix approximate 1/2 of rub in 3 T of vegetable oil. Dry rub remainder of the rub on the meat being sure to get into cuts. Now coat with the oil/rub mixture.6) Place over low direct heat with fat cap up. Cook until internal temp is 190-200. About 50-60 minutes.7) Remove and wrap in foil for 10-30 minutes.8) Using large forks, shred on cutting board
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2-3 servings

Updated

April 27, 2011

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At June 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Since the country style rib comes from the same cut that boston butt does, this is the perfect choice for "pulled pork for two".

Sounds like it was pretty close to the real thing from your report.

 
At June 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Without the brine, this becomes a weeknight recipe. I will do the pork shoulder for company but this is the "for two" version. The oil and sugar make the surface wonderful.

 
At July 19, 2010 at 2:04 AM , Anonymous SammiJean said...

I made this on Friday night - trying to have a "fair" theme going on - I made it into a sandwich. It was absolutely delicious. There were a few differences that I did but ultimately it was the same recipe you had posted.

I did want to comment because I'm new to blogging (started about two weeks ago) and while I wanted to link your website with the recipe I haven't figured out how to put links into my blogs. Once I figure it out, I will go back through and update - I did however, give credit after the title name.

 

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy the post or have a question? Please leave a comment or ask away, provide info on how you liked something, etc. Note that spam, rude comments or comments with random links will all be deleted.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home